Want a more secure Gmail experience? What you need is Google’s 2-Step Verification which gives you an extra level of security on your Google accounts.
Instead of logging in with only your username and password, you will also need to enter a code from Google that can only be sent to you through either text message or voice call.
A bit of extra effort is required but it greatly reduces the chances of someone else accessing your account.
Let’s Set Things Up
1. Login to your Gmail account and click through to the 2-Step Verification setup page. Then click on the Start setup button.
2. Enter the number you’d like to use for 2-Step Verification.
3. Once you have received your code via text or phone call, punch it in to move to the next step.
4. Decide whether or not to mark the computer you’re using as “secure” so that you don’t have to enter the code every time you login, and click on Next.
5. Click the Confirm button to finish the setup. You’ll then be logged out of Gmail automatically. Don’t worry. That’s good. It means your 2-Step Authentication setup was a success.
Congratulations. You now have a much more secure Google account.